Friday, November 16, 2012

Dehydration


There is a lot in my life that I have learned to appreciate due to my time here in Botswana. I have learned to appreciate personal cars by having to ride in over crowded, over heated kombis, or through hitching in the back of trucks with basadi bogolos. I have learned to appreciate different types of foods, and the ease of access that we have to them in the US, by eating some variation of rice/lentils/pasta and beans/carrots/cabbage for weeks on end. I have learned to appreciate different languages and those that are able to speak many of them, by struggling through conversations and meetings in Setswana.

But there is nothing I appreciate more, at this very moment, than the precious gift of water and all that comes with it.

Last Friday, sometime in the afternoon, my water went out. This is not an entirely shocking occurrence in Botswana, and it is not my first time experiencing this in Ramokgonami. In fact, one of the first warnings I ever received from my co-workers is that I should be careful to store up enough water because shortages are a part of life here. This means that on any given day in my house I have my entire filter (about a gallon) full, 5 wine bottles, 3 two liters, 1 five gallon camping drum and at least a bucket full of water. This is rotated occasionally in order to make sure things don't start to get moldy and is used for drinking, doing dishes, washing clothing, or flushing the toilet.

Anyways, I wasn't too alarmed when the water went out, I had plenty stored up and would be just fine...

3 days later

The water is still not back on and I have come to find out that it isn't because there isn't any water in the village, but because there is a burst pipe in our ward and in order to fix it they have had to shut off the system. I have just had five volunteer friends stay the night for a poker weekend (which turned into a cooking, drinking and talking weekend, which happens quite often with Peace Corps events) and even though they brought a few more two liters and a big 2 gallon jug, we still had to make a trip to the community pump on the other side of the village in order to have enough to flush the toilet on the second day. When I say "flush"I don't mean plural, we trekked the village so that we could flush once.

I waved off their offers to help with the dishes, thinking that there was no way that the water wouldn't come back on the next day since the longest I've gone without at this point is about 72 hours. Besides, dirty dish water is supposed to double as a way to fill the toilet tank, and the water I used to boil the potatoes, is ine for then washing the pot they were cooked in. I'm getting a little nervous but am not too freaked, I am a Peace Corps Volunteer after all...

2 days later

The dishes are still in my bath tub, I am on my last pair of clean underwear and I have taken to flipping my socks inside out in order to get double use out of them. The whole "if it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down" rule is now one of the ten commandments since half the water I am lugging back from the clinic goes straight into my toilet tank because I am a total wuss and still have refused to use the pit latrine. I actually took a trip to my shopping village in order to use another volunteer's shower because I haven't washed my hair or my body in nearly a week and I started waking up in the middle of the night thinking I had bugs on me, only to realize it was just my own grime shifting. I can smell myself...I mean really smell myself.

And then, this morning, something magical happens. I walk into the bathroom to find my faucet dripping! No victory dance, in the history of victory dances, has anything on the jubilant celebration I did in my bathroom but a few hours ago. Not only that, but take a look at the water I was celebrating about:



Yeah, that's right, this ain't yo momma's sweet tea, this is the water that is currently coming out of my tap...have you ever seen something more beautiful in your life?

Luckily for me I have my trusty filter to get me through and after refilling every possible basin, bucket and booze bottle I could get my hands on, I am ready to go in case I return from work to find it out again.

So the next time you turn on a tap and crystal clear, wonderous H2O flows forth into your cup/sink/shower/toilet just remember, not everyone has that luxury, and it is not something to be taken for granted.

Rata Thata,
Claire   

No comments:

Post a Comment