Thursday, September 26, 2013

Green Sleeves..and Shirts...and Thumbs

Last time I attempted to grow something on my own it was the strawberries my mother helped me out with in our household garden. I was so proud of them (even though they were kind of little) and so sad when we got to the year we had to dig them up to let the soil rest. After that the only real plant I can think of was the one my roommate had in college. We called it the "Jesus Plant" because it would die and then we would water it and it would magically come back to life. Most of the time we used "watering" in the most liberal of terms, meaning we poured leftover cans of beer and diet pepsi into the pot, so I really have no idea how the thing made it through two years in the dorm and one in the apartment, but whatever. At this point you should have some idea of my limited gardening skills, so it will come just as much a surprise to you as it did to me, that I am looking at the next couple of months, and the only projects that seems to really be happening all involve gardening and plants (probably ones that won't be watered with pepsi.)

The moringa project is finally starting to take off with seeds in the ground at my place and the clinic! I am hoping to start the workshops soon, and then I am going to put together an easy way for people to continue running them once I am gone. In case you didn't know I have included this wonderful little diagram thingy to tell you all about how awesome this tree is! I have been trying to be very careful with making sure people don't refer to it as a "medicine" though, because I don't want people thinking this is a cure all (i.e. replacing their ARVs with it), and what the main goal would be is really to try and get people t include it in their daily diet. If I can figure it out we are going to have general workshops and then special workshops and health talks for pregnant mothers and people who are HIV+, since those groups have even more to gain. I think this will be a great substitute for those pregnant women who end up eating dirt because they have an iron deficiency.

Aside from the moringa project I have also decided to start my own garden as well as a garden at the library that could benefit not only their low income preschool but the one that functions at the creshe as well. A HUGE shout out to Downtown Home and Garden for sending me a bunch of seed packets!! I thought I was going to get enough to do my own little herb patch but it turns out they sent me so many that they are going to have a chance to be their own project. This will be wonderful because it will enable both of these preschool programs to supplement the students lunches with some vegetables, and save on money when they hold events that require food. I'm really looking forward to getting my hands dirty with these projects, and maybe this is even something I will want to bring home with me?

Everything should be starting off this week, and if not then next for sure. I'm looking forward to melon and corn and tomatoes and dill and eggplant all straight from my very own garden! My host brother is going to clear a plot of land next to the chicken coup which I can only image will actually make things grow even better since I will have a natural fertilizer being set down (though I have to figure out how to keep the actual chickens out since they are going to try and eat everything.) This is fitting into my larger plan to get in shape and stay healthy and use this time in Peace Corps to establish some god nutritional habits. Also my goal to save more money and travel and bit more :)

Can't wait for the adventure to start, and if anyone out there has some good gardening tips, let me know!

Hugs and smooches,
Claire

No comments:

Post a Comment