Friday, March 28, 2014

A Little Fall of Rain

I am going slightly more than a month without running water in my house at this point. This is because my land lady hasn't been able to pay the water bill due to a.) there being an issue with the amount because we had a leak on the compound that the Utilities people wouldn't come out to fix for a few weeks and b.) that my rent is behind by almost a month since the Ministry of Health continues to insist that they don't have my paperwork, which is what they do every time the rent is due.

The incident to be described happened a few weeks ago, and this will be one of the rare instances where I actually copy an entry from my personal journal:


"I filled my buckets with rainwater today as if God were my water delivery person. He opened up the sky on my little tin roof and I thought to myself about whether or not I would have ever known that the rain can be so loud you can't watch the new bootleg you picked up over the weekend, had I staid in my comfort zone.

I went outside to watch the commotion and realized that with my little tin roof acting as a funnel, and the sky as my tap, that God had turned my water back on even though my land lady has been unable to do so for the past two weeks.

I filled my buckets and washing bin and used an old cheese cup to transfer it into the empty two liters that has been eyeing me since I got back with a look of judgment on my lazy water filling habits. God provided and even though my blood sugar is all kinds of low because of my Ash Wednesday fast, I will have a pasta feast with the help of my rainwater bank deposit. I worry I don't have the creative capacity to accurately get down moments like these but I will do my best as I listen to the last remnants of a mighty kerfuffle between God and my little tin roof."

Shortly after the evening I just described, my friend Steph came over and it again poured cats and dogs. I repeated my ritual with my water storage containers and once those were all filled up we decided it would be a perfect time for a shower. This time we used the funnel that is my little tin roof as a shower head and shampooed and conditioned in the mini waterfall it created. I'm crossing my fingers that due to all the rain any shit on my roof would have washed off way before that point, but life goes on either way.

There is something so inspiring about the rainy season :)

Hugs and smooches,
Claire

1 comment:

  1. Love this post! I recognize the spaces in your photos, which make it all the more special. I hope the water comes on soon, or God gives you another fill up and shower opportunity.

    Love you!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete