Monday, June 13, 2011

Africa Juice Q&A

Seeing as I will probably not have any new news to post within the next couple of weeks I thought I would post a nice summer juice recipe from Mali, to you all, with love. The credit to this one goes out to my friend Buddy who served in Peace Corps Mali some years back. If you do not have a food processor I have found that a cheese grater works but is a wee bit messy. The colder the better!!

Lembourouji
(Ginger-Lemon Drink)

recipe origin:   Mali, West Africa

1 to 2 "hands" fresh ginger (about the size of your hand)
1 tiny pinch of cayenne pepper (more for a bigger kick)
1 gallon cool water
1 to 1½ cups lemon juice (fresh or bottled)
1 to 1½ cups sugar

Wash the ginger well.  You do not need to peel it, but can if you like.  Cut off any discolored, rotten, or dried ends.  Pulverize in a food processor until it has the texture of coarse sawdust (should have about 2 to 3 cups worth). Add the ginger, the cayenne pepper,  and about half the water to a large glass jug or pitcher.  Soak for at least 2 to 3 hours at room temperature.  Strain the mixture through a fine strainer, sieve, or cheesecloth into another container.  Pour additional water through the ginger to wash out more of the ginger flavor.  Add enough water to make about a gallon, plus about a cup each of  lemon and sugar.  Stir.  Adjust lemon and sugar to taste.  Chill and serve over ice.

Enjoy!

On a completely unrelated note, I wanted to send out a big shout out to those of you that have been so supportive when it came to the news about possibly being pushed back till January. It was really nice to know I have such wonderful motivators in my life. :)

I also figured I would open up the floor for any questions people might have. I think the blog system that are linked through peacecorpswiki and peacecorpsjournal are great because you can find answers to questions about your own process. If you have a question you think I could answer just comment below and I will post answers sometime soon. I'm also not worried about doing a bit snooping if need be, so fire away!

Much Love,
Claire 

No comments:

Post a Comment