Monday, June 27, 2011

Medical Round 2

The unofficial title for this post is going to be "85%" because only 15% of nominees pass through the medical portion of their paper work the first time without having to submit additional material, and I am now in the 85% that is in Medical Round 2!

I was told that I need a bunch of blood work, which I could swear I already sent to them the first time around and am going to check into again before I go and get more ordered. Since I am a more curvaceous individual I have to put a personal statement in about how I am going to work on getting my BMI down before I leave, and then lastly I missed two lines for my doctor to sign on a form that I must now bring into her. All in all not so bad, and I have the next two months to get it done, but I think I should be able to have most everything together by the end of the week.

On a side note, can I just say that I am mildly insulted about the BMI thing? I completely understand why they are asking and I think someone who is signing up to do a little over two years in a situation where they are not going to be able to live to the standard in which most people are used to, should be in good shape but I had thought that the first form I filled out with my doctor would have been enough. I am a little peeved that they seem to equate weight with "out of shapeness."

I have been on the MSU rowing team for the past three years which means 8, 2 hour practices a week for the entire school year, plus workouts with my local boat house over the summer. Now that I am taking a break from rowing I have joined a roller derby team with practices twice a week plus an "off skate" work out. So at this point you may be thinking: "what is she eating that she is so over weight?" well that is a fun one too! I don't really drink pop at all, which leaves me with a whole lot of milk, water and juice. I can't afford ice cream, so unless I am visiting home I don't really eat ice cream, potato chips, candy, or baked goods.

I will say that I do love cheese, and I know its fatty, and that my portion control could use some work even when I am eating healthy things. I guess its just a bit of a let down that my weight and my fitness are so often not in touch with each other.

Alright, done with the rant, just needed to get it off my chest. I think this is actually a pretty good turn out considering how much paper work they wanted. Much love to everybody, as per usual feel free to comment and fill out the question to the right.

Peace,
Claire  

3 comments:

  1. I was in the 85% too! I though I had been so thorough with medical-- three doctor visits to fill out the form-- but I was missing stuff too. It sounds like the amount that you're missing isn't that huge, though, which is good- and at least you don't have a medical deferral to fight like I did. I agree that the BMI stuff is kind of unfortunate, but just remember that they are just looking at numbers on a paper-- and if they actually gave a fitness test, I am sure you'd kick ass!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry! Girl the BMI is definitely a blower..medical is definitely a hang up! one of my drs said I had high BP, (which I don't!) so I had to go through hell for that

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both! I know I just have to shoulder my way through, I guess it just means when all is said and done I am one step closer to the big adventure :)

    ReplyDelete