Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Bye Bye Central Asia


Okay, so I don't know what happened with blogger exactly but for some reason it double posted the story below instead of putting up what I wrote about Central Asia. That being said, I re-wrote the post and it goes something, kind of, like this:

Now that I have cooled down from figuring out that I am actually in the US Peace Corps I have had a little bit of time to think about the other things that went down within the phone conversation I had with placement. I don't want anyone to take this the wrong way but I realized today that I am a little sad about the fact that I will not be going to Central Asia. It also kind of blows my mind that out of all of the countries within that area, that none of them can support a colposcopy (which I would only need if at the half way check up I had an abnormal pap.)

That is a lot of freaking countries! In case you didn't know which ones, here is a list:

  • Azerbaijan
  • Kazakhstan
  • Kyrgyz Republic
  • Armenia
  • Albania
  • Turkmenistan
  • Bulgaria
  • Georgia
  • Macedonia
  • Moldova
  • Romania
  • Ukraine

I spent half of my senior year, as well as a lot of extra time writing a 25pg research thesis, studying the democratization of these countries, and now to know that I won't get to see it first hand is a bit of a let down. I do know, that when the day comes and I see that big white envelope in the mail, that I will be pumped about which ever country I end up in; be it in South America, Sub-Saharan Africa, or Eastern Asia, and that is a very comforting/ exhilarating thought. 

So here's to you Central Asia countries! May your democracies flourish, your people be well fed, and your female Peace Corps Volunteers have normal pap smear results!!

Much love, 
Claire

No comments:

Post a Comment