Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Birthday 2 of 3!

Happy 24th birthday to me!

It is crazy, stupid, nuts to think that I left for Botswana at 22, and am now celebrating my 24th birthday. I'm one of those rare volunteers who had their birthday in PST, which means ultimately I will be spending a total of 3 birthdays here, even though service is only a little over two years.

What normally happens on my birthday in the states: I'm woken up by family with birthday cake and gifts in bed. This is a fun Swedish thing, and I love it (didn't realize most families don't do this until much later in life.) Go to school or work, depending on what age I am, and then come home to Mom making birthday dinner (which is planned for ahead of time since we get to have whatever we want.) Usually another cake is involved, and at some point I talk on the phone, or get emails from a lot of friends and family, wishing me another happy year. I would also like to note that our next door neighbors have NEVER ceased to send all of us kids a birthday card every year, which I think is wonderful. Go to bed happy and full of cake.

This year: woke up at 5am to shower, and feed the cat. Made cheesy eggs and coffee, and tuned on the laptop to watch Glee while opening the packages I have from Grandma and Grandpa, and the Amazon book from my parents. Put on birthday sweater and scarf from G&G, and actually put on makeup for the first time in months. Make my way to the clinic for the morning meeting where I am scolded for not letting everyone know it is my birthday. I have brought juice that we are going to make for everyone for lunch. Get my leave form signed by my CP (counter part) and head over to the library where I am going to teach the kids how to play softball and review our relay skills.

Head back to the clinic to enjoy lunch and juice with everyone, and maybe try to catch up on a few letters  am writing (only a few days behind but they stack up quick!) Go back to the library to skype with my Mom :) Before heading home, make a pit stop at the post office to fax off my paperwork, and check for any birthday packages. Once I get home I have a bunch of veggies, and a potato to make baked potato supreme with. I also have "Pudi Wine" (wine that has a picture of a goat on the front) chilling. Make dinner, watch more Glee, and enjoy a glass of wine before taking my book and heading to bed.

Its going to be a lovely day, and I couldn't be happier with where I am at in life. Life is good, and fingers crossed this year is going to be even better than the last.

Hugs and smooches,
Claire/Tlotlo

Birthday sweater and scarf!

1 comment:

  1. Clair,
    Love your blog and how you're retelling your experiences.
    First, thank you for your service. The years you volunteer with the Peace Corps in Africa are greatly appreciated.
    As a volunteer, you know firsthand the poverty families in Africa experience, and you understand the value of an additional $1-$2/day in alleviating that poverty. A few extra dollars means a second meal that includes meat, school fees that are paid on time, new shoes for school, curtains for the sleeping area, or even a solid, leak-proof roof. Most Americans cannot fathom what poverty does to families in Africa, but you are there, and you know just how real this problem is.

    Would you help us, DLG Naturals, to make a small inroad in that poverty?

    DLG Fund (the non-profit arm of DLG Naturals) is running a crowd funding campaign on Indiegogo.com titled, “Innovating Sustainable Income for Rural African Women.” We will send an intern to Namibia to work with a sustainable farming agency to educate women on the indigenous natural resources and increase their disposable income. Those resources are the wild fruit trees, which provide a level of sustenance to the families, but are not being fully utilized, trees such as Marula, Mongongo/Manketti and Baobab.
    We are not asking you for money. However, you have a wonderful blog, and so we are asking you to share our project with your blog followers and ask them to help us raise these funds. If you are willing, we will provide you more detailed information as you require it, e.g., how to find the project on Indiegogo.com.

    If you'd like more information, please email me at mjbergs@dlgnaturals.com We thank you for any assistance you might provide.

    ReplyDelete