Thursday, May 23, 2013

First Visitor

I wasn't really planning on posting today but I figured the upcoming EPIC EVENT OF EPICNESS, might need a little preamble before I do a full post a few weeks from now.

My cousin, ladies and gentleman, and everyone in between, is getting on a plane today to fly to...

ATLANTA!

But after that he is going to get on another plane where he will fly to

BOTSWANA!

Well I guess technically he is flying to South Africa but after that we are going to get on a bus to Bots, so I think it pretty much counts.

In about a day and a half (though I am sure it will feel longer for him) my first ever relative will be touching down in Africa to visit me and I couldn't be happier...or more freaked out. On the one hand this will be the first member of my family that I have seen since December, for those of you who don't feel like counting that means a long 5 months! I miss my family every single day, and so having someone here to bring a little piece of that to me is going to be wonderful. On the other hand I am worried that this trip isn't going to be everything he is hoping it is going to be. I mean this is his first time to Africa! Weren't we just talking about this in the post below? How men are men, and women are women and there are crazy animals running lose everywhere? Well he hasn't been here for over a year tempering that view which means it is my job to make sure that his stay lives up to all those crazy ideals.

But interwebs...SO MUCH goes wrong here...ALL THE TIME.

I am constant walking proof of Murphy' Law, and normally that is fine but now one of my closest relatives is coming to visit and is going to be sucked into that and I don't know how to avoid it. What if the combi doesn't come, or it comes and it breaks down and then we get to the park late and we miss seeing rhinos and then MY COUSIN NEVER GETS TO SEE A RHINO?!? Or what if he has an alergic reaction to some of the traditional food I have been arranging and then he spends his whole trip puking or something? What happens then? What do I do? Because it is my job tat he has a good time, and it is my job to make sure that he sees the right side of this amazing country and goes home and tells everyone he know "South Africa is boring, you need to go to Botswana!" Because lets me real people, I can count on one hand the number of people I know who come to Africa to vacation anywhere other than South Africa, and I think that is a little silly.

So yeah, I'm freaking a bit, and my whole house is clean, and I'm pretty sure I have planned everything down to the second, but I'm not 100% sure and I'm hoping he can just roll with the punches (I'm pretty sure he can and that I am just freaking for no reason.) Only time will tell though, and so this is going to be an interesting experience.  

Wish me luck!

Hugs and smooches,
Claire/Tlotlo

No comments:

Post a Comment