Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Day #3

Day #3
US: 4,645
MN: 54

Announcements Made Up To This Point:
- National State of Emergency
- State State of Emergency
- All Peace Corps Volunteers Evacuated
- Schools in MN to close Wednesday
- Bars and restaurants closed as of 8pm today
- Bay Area to shelter in place
- One Voice rehearsals cancelled

It struck me today that it might be good to keep track of everything that is going on in the world with the coronavirus. Seeing as I have an online platform set up, I figured I would use it. 

I will mark these very specific blog posts with the number of days since President Trump declared a national emergency. 

We had our "simulation" work from home day today, but it started off with an email from our CEO saying that this will be the new norm until at least March 27th. I have the feeling, based on what I'm reading, that it is going to be longer than that, but we will see. As someone who has done one off WFH days on the occasion, it didn't feel too weird. Signed on to Teams, prepped and participated in a few meetings, tried to stay focused. This will get harder as the days go on, but I'm trying to keep my mind open for silver linings when available. 

My partner and I have decided, like any good Jewish person and Greek would, that we are going to cook our way through this pandemic. Yesterday included bananas foster over buttermilk pancakes, irish soda bread and homemade spaghetti and meatballs. As I'm absolutely committed to celebrating St Patrick's Day, tomorrow's menu should be pretty epic. 

The co-op a few blocks from our house closed down due to a staffer testing positive yesterday...about five hours after we had shopped there, so things have spread into our neighborhood. Friday the Governor declared a state of emergency, yesterday he declared the closure of schools starting Wednesday, and today they have closed bars and restaurants. After hearing about the Bay Area asking folks to shelter in place, I'm assuming it is only a matter of time before the country is under a similar type of declaration. 

It is an odd space to be in as we are privileged to feel comfortable and safe in our home, and yet so much information that we are consuming is fearful and chaotic. We are going to try and stay in good spirits and I hope you all are doing your best to stay the same.  

No comments:

Post a Comment