Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Day #5

Day #5
Global: 214,894
US: 7,769
MN: 77

Announcements:
- NY mandatory 50% of workforce from home
- Two members of the House test positive (Mario Diaz-Balart, R-FL & Ben McAdams, D-Utah)
- President Trump signs Coronavirus Aid Package and institutes Defense Production Act
- Trading halted as DOW falls 1,300
- ICE postpones "non-urgent" arrests and stop most operations near health care facilities (I will try my best to keep the announcement politically neutral, but I find the language on this announcement enraging.)

Working from home felt a bit easier today, though concentrating on things is still difficult. There is part of me that blames this on me just not being a good WFH person, and there is another part of me that understands that with a global crisis afoot, it is more likely that I'm this distracted for other reasons.

My non-profit workplace continues to work to respond to the community, and finally got out Emergency Relief Fund up and running today. As the manager of our three Giving Communities, I'm also strategizing about how I can create a specific response for the organizations we support, and sent out an update to all our committees today. Trying to balance the immediate need with the long term is always a struggle in times like these, and I have much more experience with the immediate end of things, but now as a manager our long term planning must be top of mind as well. Truly I know I'm lucky to even have brain space to be figuring this out, as many are trying to figure out how to cover rent, or care for their kids.

There continues to be silver linings in how the community is coming together, and is working to innovate solutions in times of need.

My partner and I agreed that we are going to create a more open sense of independence than we would normally have in the house together, just to keep each other sane. Less "do you want to go for a walk?" and more "I'm going for a walk!" We (mostly her) got a bunch of music refiled and arranged today in our effort to turn the den back into and office for me, as opposed to a storage place. Small wins will make this all a lot more bearable.

Time for dinner, sending love from our home to yours!
Claire

No comments:

Post a Comment