Saturday, March 3, 2012

Prep, Prep and More Prep

I am officially at 38 days left before it is time to leave for Botswana! I have been trying to tie up as many lose ends as possible within my life seeing as I have the feeling that things are only going to start to move more quickly the sooner we get to go time.

I have taken care of getting the deferments for my student loans and sadly have realized that I am not going to be able to put off accruing interest. What sucks about this is that I am going to come back from Peace Corps and have gained about $2,000 more in interest than when I left. Quick vent: this is not cool, its not even that I am saying as a US Peace Corps Volunteer I deserve to get my loans forgiven, but I certain think that someone that is representing America abroad should not financially suffer for it. Part of the reason I joined PC is because I wanted to serve my country in a way I thought would be possible for me. That is not to say that I am putting even half as much on the line as our men and women fighting in Iraq or Afghanistan. I have only the utmost respect for these individuals because they are serving their country in a way I don't think I have it within me to do. That being said, I am serving my country in a way and I don't think waiving interest on a student loan would be the down fall of our civilization...

Alright I am done, so anyways I put in orders for a ton of different clothing items and finally caved and bought a sleeping bag with my Marmot discount. FUTURE PEACE CORPS VOLUNTEERS: do not buy things before departure without applying for the discounts listed on www.peacecorpswiki.com, they are going to save you a crap ton of money at the end of the day.

I have now moved into what I like to call "Def Con 2" which means I am undulating between being super pumped to leave and freaking that I am dumb enough to think I can do this. I'm estimating that I will move into Def Con 3 by the end of the week after next and come April I will be in stage 4 only to enter the final Def Con stage somewhere between 7 and 4 days before its time for me to leave. At that point don't expect my posts to make any sense whatsoever. :)

Things are going well though, I am enjoying planning and learning and getting ready for this most excellent adventure!

~Claire

No comments:

Post a Comment