Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Doctor's Visit

Received a call from the doctor's office and was given the all clear health wise! Apparently I have a little bit of something going on but due to my age and the fact that I don't smoke, it should clear up on its own and the OB was even willing to talk to my family doctor and let her know that she would recommend me to go. So this means I am back on track and need to start with doing all my paper work again, which I am going to be tackling this week/ next week.

I'm really, really hoping that this hasn't completely put me off track for a fall departure but life will go on even if I have to wait until December. I don't know how much of a hang up this is going to cause with my country selection, though again, as much as I would love to go to Africa, there are other places I would be just as happy ending up.

I think that this is a big thing one must consider when looking into whether the Peace Corps is right for you or not, how flexible are you willing to be? A good friend of mine was looking in PC around the same time that I was and had somehow gotten it into his head (possibly through another person that had spoken to him about PC) that he, not only wanted to go to Romania, but that it was a perfectly reasonable request to say that the only place he was willing to go was Romania. Let me put this out there, and feel free to comment if you have heard otherwise, but if there is only one place you are willing to get deployed to in PC, you might as well just take a vacation there because this is not the right organization for you.

At every step of my application I was told to be flexible and learn patience because everything was going to take a long time and I was probably going to be frustrated more often than not. Though I, at some point, was able to voice to my recruiter during my interview that I would prefer not to end up in South America, I first made it very clear to her that I was willing to serve anywhere and just wanted to be able to help out and have a meaningful experience in my life and in the people whom I was serving lives.

Alright, more later, let you know as I know.
Claire

No comments:

Post a Comment